During the strange times we are going through now many people will turn to comfort-eating as a quick stress release. Feeding your mind, soul and body with the right things (let that be information or food) is more important than ever.
Bone broth is not just easy to make but cheap, highly nutritious and can be us used many ways in cooking. For me it is the ultimate healthy comfort food. One of the misconceptions is that it is a very meaty dish, but to get all the health benefits use as much veg as possible. Here is my recipe (from my Mum who cannot cook but makes the best broth out there)
Can use bones with some meat on as well. Just adds to the flavour.
Can be made with any leftover bones (eg from a roast chicken) or fresh beef or chicken bones. Use any vegetable you want for this, my usual recipe is 1 peeled carrot, half a cabbage, 1 whole onion skin off, 1 kohlrabi peeled, 1 parsnip, 1 whole tomato; as for herbs I like adding 1 bunch of parsley, a piece of fresh turmeric and a few peppercorns. Chuck everything in a large stockpot and add enough water to cover. Simmer for a minimum of 4 hours. Strain the liquid and add salt to taste. As it makes a lot of broth, I generally freeze it in smaller portions.
If you simmered it long enough the liquid turns into jelly once cold. (That collagen is great for your skin btw)
You can use it in many ways
– drink hot from a mug,
– add rice noodles, carrot, or courgette ribbons, fresh ginger, garlic, chilli, pak choi and maybe a splash of soy sauce for a delicious Asian style noodle soup
– use in stews, soups instead of stock
– Cook your grains in the liquid!
– it can heal and seal your gut (can help with leaky gut syndrome) It’s the gelatine in bones
– Can help with protecting your joints – it contains glucosamine (yes that is the supplement you would take for joint pain)
– Adds collagen naturally to your diet
– Could help with sleep as it contains glycine, an amino acid that elevates serotonin levels
– Due to its high mineral content (magnesium, calcium, phosphorus) it supports healthy immune system as well as bone health